Legal Services

If you are working on legal issues on your own, the Colorado Judicial Branch offers a Self-Help Center on its web site. Colorado Legal Services also provides self-help information for civil legal matters in an topic-based format.

If you need outside legal help, there are a number of legal aid organizations and pro bono programs in Colorado. Please click here for a list. Colorado Legal Services is a primary resource for help with civil matters.

Colorado Legal Services (“CLS”)

Colorado Legal Services (“CLS”) is a private, non-profit corporation founded in 1925 for the purpose of providing meaningful access to civil legal services for low-income persons. CLS provides free legal advice and representation to low-income persons throughout Colorado who qualify for services. CLS assists in civil matters but cannot help with criminal matters. If CLS cannot help, they will try to give you the name of another agency or a private attorney who can help.

What kinds of cases can CLS help with?

  • Family law: domestic violence, divorce, custody, guardianship and others;
  • Consumer/debt problems, including bankruptcy, garnishment, collection, repossession and others;
  • Housing law, including foreclosures, evictions, landlord/tenant issues and others;
  • Issues for seniors, including living wills, medical durable powers of attorney, and more;
  • Problems with programs like Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, SSI, and other government benefits;
  • Other civil (not criminal or traffic) problems; and
  • Immigration: CLS can help citizens and those who are (1) present in the U.S. and (2) have an acceptable “category” of immigration. These categories are complicated and assessed on a case by case basis, but include Lawful Permanent Residents and Asylees, among other categories.

What can CLS do to help you?

  • CLS may offer you advice from an attorney about your problem;
  • CLS may help you file your own case in court;
  • CLS may refer you to a legal aid clinic, or to another program or agency that can help you;
  • A paralegal in one of CLS’ offices may help you;
  • A staff attorney in one of CLS’ offices may help you; and/or
  • An attorney who takes cases from CLS and works for free may help you.

What if CLS can’t help you?

The contact information for for Clear Creek, Eagle, Lake & Summit Counties in Colorado is as follows:

602 Galena St., Frisco 80443
(970) 668-9612
800) 521-6968 (TOLL FREE)
Fax: (970) 668-9642